Friday 20 February 2015

'Why I Want To Visit Nigeria' - A Foreigner's 'Flimsy' Reasons

As a Non-Nigerian African, I've always been fascinated by Nigeria (And no, not because of Nollywood, I'm not a fan of Nollywood). Here are the reasons why I want to visit Nigeria.



1. To Try Jollof Rice

I once read this book by Chinua Achebe where one of the characters really liked Jollof rice. And it sounded tasty. So I really want to visit nigeria and try it straight from the source. grin



2. To Visit Kano.

Back when I was in class seven (7th grade obviously) we learnt about Climates in different parts of Africa. Kano (Northern Nigeria) was one of the area whose climates we studied. We looked at some pictures from that area, and the mud roofed houses (adobe houses?) looked really nice. So I'd like to visit that place.



3. To Visit the University of Ibadan.

It's probably the most well known Nigerian University outside of Nigeria. And a lot of smart Nigerians e.g Soyinka went there. Plus when I was a kid, I used to read this African encyclopedia for teenagers, and most of the contributing authors were from there (the others were from the university of Nairobi).



4. To Try Bitter Leaf and Egusi.

I don't even know what this is, but it sounds delicious. Again I learnt about this while reading Achebe. grin



5. To Visit Enugu.

I read "The Nigerian Civil War" by John de st Jorre. And Enugu was the capital of Biafra at the beginning. So I'm just interested in visiting because I read so much about it.



6. To Visit the Confluence of The Niger and The Benue.

And to travel by boat for a short distance down The Niger. Hopefully I won't end up like Mungo Park.



7. Visit Port Harcourt.

I just like the name of the city. That's all.



8. Visit the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

Why? Because some smart Nigerians e,g Chris Okigbo have ties to this university. (Side Note: Chris Okigbo's grandson and I attended the same university. And boy, could he sing! His group competed in one of those American singing shows and did very well)


0 comments:

Post a Comment