Wednesday 28 January 2015

Nairalander Narrates His Kidney Transplant And Recovery Experience (Must Read)

I woke up from my hostel bed February 2006 and was greeted with a swollen face and legs as well as fever, tiredness, lack of appetite and severe headache.



I went home and visited a doctor who conducted urinalysis protein 4+, serum creatinine 5, urea 60, doppler scan which showed that the both kidneys were getting weak. Doctor diagnosed chronic kidney failure. Met a nephrologist who told me I had high blood pressure 200/90, anaemia. So he initiated treatment with drugs but I was so ignorant of this killer ailment that I neglected my drugs and didn't bother watching what I consumed like, alcohol, cigarettes...



By September 2008, I was getting too weak, slim, pale, breathlessness, no urination. I travelled home and miraculously I didnt collapse on my journey because I was a dead man walking.



Finally, when I got home, I sat on a couch and collapsed. Well the next time I regained consciousness, I was told I had being in a 3-week coma. In fact I woke up hooked to a dialysis machine.



Doctor said I had stroke. I had up to a total 20 pints of blood transfusion, erythropoeitin injection three times weekly, iron sucrose, high bp drugs and the rest.



I was on dialysis for 6months, 3 times a week. Then it dawned on me that God given me a second chance to live. I started obeying all medical advice. Since I had stroke, I lost all my psychomotor skills. In short I had to restart life as a baby, I learnt how to move my body, eat, stand, walk, sit, talk, clench a fist. Then, within one month I was recovering with aid of physiotherapy.



January 2009, with the help of family, friends, well wishers. I was transfered to India, I had a kidney transplant April 2009, with mum as a donor. After the transplant I started feeling great. Haemoglobin was now normal, I started having normal urination, blood pressure now 120/70, infact if you had seen me before you wouldn't have recognised me again. I started living a normal life strictly according to medical advice which is to take immunosupresive drug for life.



Six years on I am still healthy, hale and hearty. I can't remember the last time I had malaria fever. Nigerian patients who did same surgery with me that same week, one died two years later, while the other had kidney rejection 3years later due to inconsistency in taking immunosuppresive drugs.





I give God thanks.


0 comments:

Post a Comment