Monday 23 March 2015

At What Age Should A Man Move Out Of His Parents' House?

So I recently moved out of my parents' place at Ajah to my own mini flat at Oniru. This happened about 2 months ago, January precisely. The problem is..my parents have been angry ever since I took the decision to leave.



The facts:



I'm 24

I'm the third child of five

I've been working for four years in the corporate world.

Intelligent, smart, very nice, the dream of every parent, except for the last part...

I'm gay.



Reasons I moved out:



1.The traffic from Ajah to my work place in VI can be killing and I have not intention to continue that way into the future, whatever number of years my parents may feel I should stay with them more for. I hate spending time in traffic, to and fro, and it can be very much frustrating for the most part.



2. I need my privacy. My parents are the very clingy type who wanna know every thing that's going on in your life. Who visits you, who you visit, the state the person is from and even down to the person's local government. If I dare stay a night out of home, even after giving them an excuse, na quarrel the next day be that. My mum feels i should actually "marry" her first, before thinking of marrying any other girl.



3. I actually wanna start distancing myself a little from my parents, to slowly let the know the real me..and the fact that their expectation of me may not hold, especially with me being gay. I feel if I start distancing myself, I won't have to be totally depressed, along with them, in the event that they finally get to know about my sexuality...which they may soon come to know about.



Apart from that I just feel i need some space at this time of my life. Just staying on my own. I probably don't have enough time before the talks of marriage starts creeping in and the pressure starts coming from all angles to get married to a girl. So I just wanna have the pleasure of actually living my life while visiting my parents and siblings occasionally. So far I've been enjoying staying alone. Finally feel I'm free from just so many ropes. I can invite anyone over without having to explain myself, keep late nights at the office without having to feel the need to report at home why I'm staying out late, or even party out late in rare cases.



Like I said the whole concept of staying alone doesn't fit in well with my parents and I often see the sad face my mum wears whenever I visit, and it's starting to make me feel guilty. But again, don't I also deserve to be happy on my own?? I've tried talking to them but they still feel I'm too young to be staying alone, and that it's just not right. I mean this is four years of me being financially independent. Why should I continue staying with them.





While all these may be too late since it's been 2 months already, I'd still like to know people's opinion on this. Maybe I'm the wrong one, or maybe there are just some things I still need to discuss with them. Dunno . What do you guys think?


0 comments:

Post a Comment